Sunday, February 16, 2014

How to Paint a Brass Chandelier!

Ten years ago my financial status changed drastically! I chose to be a stay at home wife so that I could take care of my father in law who was diagnosed with dementia. Well it has been hard learning to budget but it has been a Joy taking care of Pops!  A year after he moved in with us we purchased a new home. This is when my decorating passion became an obsession!  I can walk into a clients home and decorate it within days!  Well, I wish the same applied for my home.  I will began decorating my room, visit a model home or decorate a clients home and totally change my mind.  I have spent thousands of dollars redecorating for the past nine years! Guess what? I have never completed one room! I'm going to follow my own advice and start with one room at a time!
The first room I'm going to complete will be the "Pink Room"!
My first project in this room will be the lighting.  I LOVE DONNA MOSS and her show "Donna Decorates Dallas", featured on HGTV.  This week she embellished a chandelier for a bedroom.  This is such a great idea to get a beautiful custom light fixture for a bedroom on a budget, 
I've been looking for a old chandelier on craigslist and resale shops.  I couldn't find anything that caught my eye.  Well, sharing my dilemma with my friend Bonita she told me about the Habitat for Humanities Resale store.  After researching I found out their was one 12 miles from my home.  I had to take a trip to the store. Soon as I walked in the store I saw 5 chandeliers and they were only $20 each.  I had to remember that I was on a budget and only buy 1! Take a look at my $20 find!






I began to prep the chandelier for painting.  Since, I have a pinch nerve in my shoulder therefore I couldn't do any sanding.  I wasn't sure the paint would stick but, I sprayed 1 coat of primer and it held up perfect!



  I started priming the chandelier late and it had gotten dark.  Overjoyed, I couldn't wait any longer. I sprayed my first coat of paint in the dark.


The next morning I sprayed 2 additional coats of paint and sealed it with a gloss sealer.


Of course, I couldn't stop there so I purchased a ceiling medallion for only $24 at Lowes.  Since my walls and ceiling are pink I left the medallion white and just added a coat of gloss sealer. 

The total cost for this project was $36.  Supplies: Chandelier $20, Medallion $24, 2 cans of  Valspar Pink Satin Spray Paint/Primer and 1 can of Valspar Gloss Sealer $12. Take a look at my finish project! (Ignore the room décor for now. We have more work to do) Check back for updates to the "Pink Room".

No comments:

Post a Comment